Has It Really Been Since Thanksgiving?
Geesh... I guess it has, so maybe I'd better post something. I don't have any idea what to write about, so maybe I'll start by writing about writing. How appropriate!
First let me explain a few things to any of you who might be interested. If you're not interested, then look away until I tell you to look again. See, Bitchass has been away. Not away like going somewhere on a vacation, but more like all my energy to write went away and I came down with the worst case of writers block you can imagine. For the last couple of years, it had come fairly easy. Then a couple of things happened that took the wind out of my sails, and my writing went into a funk. It became harder and harder to even sit down and expend the energy.
This is how the process used to work for me. I'd have a vague idea for a story in my head, and I'd sit down at the keyboard and try to become whatever character I was writing about. My recurring characters were easiest, because each time I wrote about them it fleshed out the character more and more and made it a lot easier to become them. New characters are the hardest, but eventually they come around and develop their personalities. The hardest part for me was keeping the characters personalities separate. If I'm not careful they tend to start blending together.
If I was really inspired and into the character, the story would flow out right from the start. But most times it was more difficult for me. I would struggle for a while to get into the flow, going back countless times to rewrite certain parts, but eventually it would come, and the rest of the story would seem to write itself. If you've read much of my stuff, you've probably noticed that I have a much harder time stopping a story once it gets going.
One of the things that made writing easier was corroborating with a small group of others in this blogspace whose writing I really admire. I think my writing improved by leaps and bounds once I began to feel pushed to get better by reading stuff by quality storytellers like Billybear, Miss Tara, Lucky, and Ace, to name just a few. I don't mean to leave anyone out, but these were the people who were most involved on a day to day basis. To this day, I am totally awed by how Billybear can make a complicated storyline come together so effortlessly. I wish it came that easy for me, but I could never do what he does. And there were times that I laughed so hard at what he wrote that I about peed my panties.
I can't put my finger on exactly when I became completely blocked, but it was sometime after Lucky detonated the 10 pounds of C4 under his blog. I don't blame him because I knew his reasons for doing it, and by that time I had lost most of my inspiration for writing anyway. I tried to keep going by forcing stories out, but that usually shows in the finished product and the Emporer soon has no clothes.
I had a good opportunity to write some true life posts when Hurricane Ike and a few other storms visited the area. I thought the Ike stories turned out pretty well, but after the storms went away, so it seems did my writing.
So anyway, I'm hoping that shining the light of day on my writers block will turn things around and get me writing again. Maybe it will, and maybe it won't. I can't say for sure. I feel especially bad for disappointing my regular readers, and Miss Tara certainly deserves to read something new instead of having to depend on the old archives for a chuckle or two. Although, I confess that I too read the archives from time to time when I need a laugh. It's a damn shame that the Real World has interfered, but since Miss Tara, Billybear and Ace have been posting the occasional post, maybe there's hope that they will get going again too. Maybe even Lucky might find a way to resurrect his blog from the ashes. We can always hope.
Well that's about it for tonight. Anybody who looked away because they weren't interested can look back now.
Hopfully it won't be so long between posts this time!
little bitchass
2009-06-08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Bountiful bouncing bodacious bimbo boobs is BACK!! My sweet Jemmie, who was always innocent unless her evil boobs, or Billybear, made her do something bad, like toss Woomba's tomato plants down into Davy Jones' locker. I know Billy instigated that somehow. So how ARE you? How is your Gal Pal Friday? there are so many things I want to ask you, but they can wait. I'm just glad that you and Mighty Vash the Destroyer have returned. Now, lets go play in the remains of the lab and see if mittens is back yet!!
Love,
Miss Tara
Hey there Miss Tara!
Just to let everybody know, I've done my time for tossing Woomba's pathetic, anorexic tomato plants into the bay. I still say I was doing him a favor.
It's good to hear from you too! And speaking of Friday, I was just talking to her and she said to tell you hi, and that she's just getting started on her first real case. She's planning on opening up an investigation into the disappearance of Billybear. As soon as she graduates from the Sears PI course next week, and gets her ID card, she's gonna get started on it.
Vash was happy to hear you mention his name. He likes being called "The Destroyer" better than his real name, "The Stampede". He thinks Destroyer makes him sound much more fierce.
As for Billybear Labs, I was over there about a week ago, and the weeds were pretty high around the door, and I had to squeeze past them, only to find a big old rusty padlock. I didn't have my crowbar with me, but I'll borrow Friday's and we can see if we might be able to get in and find Mittens.
BTW, Cousin Zorak says hi too.
See you soon!
l.b.a.
Hello Jemmi. I seen your blog on acestrokes blog and on Ms Sassa's blog and wanted to say howdy. I'm in Houston too, so I guess that makes us neighbors!
I'm enjoyin' readin' your blog. You guys are really crazy! hahaha
I just started a blog but haven't wrote much in it yet. If you want, you can find my link on Ms Sassa's blog.
Maybe see ya around town sometime!
Debi Mae
Hiya neighbor Debi Mae! Nice to meet you. Thanks for the nice comment, and I'll head on over to your blog and check it out.
Hey! Maybe you can invite me over to your next crawdad boil!
l.b.a.
Post a Comment